🌹 Hello, sister in Christ! 🌹
Today we continue to look at the Proverbs 31 woman, one piece at a time. I started this series because I saw the same sentiment from women in several places, women who said “It’s just too hard,” or “too idealistic,” or “simply impossible.”
But God would never set us up for disaster, so let’s continue to look at these verses. Last week we looked at Proverbs 31:11 ~ “Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.” Let’s continue:
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
Proverbs 31: 12
Him meaning her husband, but we can really apply this to anyone we have a relationship with– whether it’s a boyfriend, friend, coworker, or acquaintance.
How do you view your relationship with your significant other?
- Is it a tit-for-tat?
- Do you “punish” the other person instead of working it out?
- Do you find yourself giving them “the silent treatment” or something similar?
- Is it common for you to “get them back” out of spite?
- Do you hurl insults during arguments?
All of those behaviors would be adversarial, and it wouldn’t bring him (or you!) any good. It actually brings harm– to both of you. And the funny thing is, all of it can be turned around by doing the bare minimum– treating the other person with respect.
Bringing someone “good, not harm” can be as simple as treating them with respect, even when you are upset.
Even during an argument.
Even when they do something that irks you.
Here are some helpful tips for your relationship:
- Be clear about responsibilities, and help each other when needed.
- In an argument, change the focus from the other person to the issue. It’s you two against the issue, not against each other.
- Focus on problem-solving, not revenge or getting back.
- Always remain respectful, no matter what.
- If you must, cool off before discussing an issue. Words cannot be taken back.
For more bible-based relationship help, I highly recommend the book Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs.
That was easy, right? 🙂 Let’s bring people good, not harm, all the days of our life!
Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
I hope you have an amazing week!
Take care and God bless,